Tesco offers grants through its Bags of Help Programme which is funded by Tesco customers from the proceeds of the 5p charge for plastic carrier bags as a result of a government carrier bag levy.
Each month, an in-store vote will determine which projects will be funded. Three local community projects will be voted on in Tesco stores each month across 200 regions throughout Great Britain. In each region, the project that received the most votes from all stores in their region will receive a grant of up to £5,000. The second placed project receives up to £2,000 and third placed up to £1,000. Every year, over 7,000 projects will receive funding through this scheme.
The funding is for projects which deliver improvements to the physical environment and/or encourage the use and long term stability of outdoor spaces.
- Developing nature trails in a local park or nature reserve.
- Purchasing bee hives and seeding wildflower meadows on a community allotment.
- Providing forest school sessions in a primary school for 12 months.
- Developing a garden in a hospice, purchasing plants, benches and pergola.
- Supporting an artist in residence to work with the community to develop an art trail.
- Setting up a growing project for sheltered accommodation residents.
- Supporting a gardening project which helps local isolated residents form a gardening club.
- Supporting practical training for young people learning horticultural skills.
- Funding a series of summer events in a local park.
- Funding a programme of beach clean-up events.
- Repainting swings and play equipment in a park.
- Supporting community run summer sports and leisure activities in parks.
- Helping to set up Britain in Bloom local group, purchasing plants, planters, forks, spades and compost.
- Developing a community garden or orchard.
- Supporting local football club with the purchase of nets, balls and coaching sessions for under 12’s.
A range of not-for-profit organisations can apply. This includes voluntary and community organisations, registered charities, community interest companies, friends of groups with a constitution, schools, health bodies (Primary Care Trust, NHS Hospital Trust, Foundation Hospital etc), parish, town and community councils.
Applications are now open on a rolling basis and will be accepted at any time.
For further information please visit the fund website here.